Students returning to the HNU campus on Wednesday, August 26th, to begin their Fall 2009 semester will find a brand-new Student Center awaiting them on the ground floor of Brennan Hall.
The transformation of the Hall into a 15,800-square-foot, full-service Student Center with classrooms, faculty offices, lounge space, food services, an information access lab, and a café-style outdoor patio is a remarkable accomplishment that will have taken just 1-1/2 years from conception to completion. “Despite a very difficult economic time,” says Dav Cvitkovic, Vice President for Institutional Advancement, “our donors have been very resilient and we’re particularly appreciative of their generosity. We’re thrilled to have reached our goal and then some on the eve of the renovation. I want to thank all of those who jumped at this special opportunity to advance the student experience on campus.”
The Student Center renovation begins immediately after spring commencement. Starting May 18th, contractors will have just 3-1/2 months to put together HNU’s new state-of-the-art Student Center. With HNU experiencing its largest enrollments in its history, the Student Center is expected to be a greatly welcomed new “heart and hub” of the University campus for resident, commuter, and adult students alike.
New Center Features:
- An internet café providing quality food and beverages and laptops for students to borrow to meet their research needs (service hours will be extended to include nights and weekends)
- Lounge spaces with comfortable new furniture, and areas that promote academic and social interaction for students, faculty and staff.
- Access to business support services such as copiers, printing and expanded bookstore operations to ensure all students can meet their program requirements.
- A functional courtyard that includes built-in heating units to allow the area to be used year round both day and night.
- Access to services that support student success: Learning and Tutoring Center, Career and Wellness Centers and a new Center for Civic Engagement and Service Learning.
- Technology Support Center with the latest in advanced technology
Click Floor Plan to Enlarge.
Special Announcement for Summer or Returning Students:
There will be limited access to student services available from May 18 – August 25. The following are the changes to existing services:
- The Brennan Hall Lounge Café will be closed for the summer. The Public Market will be closed Friday, May 15 through July 5, re-open for limited service during construction on July 6 – July 31 and be closed from August 1 – August 22. During the dates of closure there will be no access to food service except through vending machines. Please check back to this page for updates on the dates and services available in the Public Market during the summer.
- Vending machines will be relocated to the Soda Commons by the Mealey Living Room area.
- The Bookstore will be open, but with limited hours:
- May 18 – May 30th:
- M, T, Th, Fri: 12:00 p.m. – 6:30 p.m. (Monday May 25th closed)
- Wednesday: 1:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
- Saturday: 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m
- Sunday: CLOSED
- June 1 – June 30
- M – F – 9:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- July & August hours have not been determined.
- Please check http://www.holynames.bkstr.com/ for updates on store hours (click on store information; store hours and dates that store hours are in effect are located at the bottom of the page.)
- The ATM machine will remain in the same location (next to main door of Bookstore).
- Student Affairs will be moving to temporary offices on campus. Click here to view a list of the temporary offices and locations for staff and faculty.
- PMD (Pre-Music Department) offices will be temporarily relocated to the Kennedy Building, Room 409
- Upward Bound offices will be temporarily relocated to Soda Commons, 1st Floor.
- Education classes will be temporarily relocated to Brennan (2nd floor) and Heafey (3rd floor); offices remain in Heafey (1st floor).
- Campus Ministry will be permanently relocated to Founder’s Hall (behind the Chapel).
During the Student Center renovation many of the offices have been relocated. Click here to view a list of the temporary offices and locations for staff and faculty.