The 12-unit Vocal Pedagogy Certificate is a post-baccalaureate certificate that can be completed in one academic year. It is designed for new or experienced voice teachers to sharpen their knowledge and skills in teaching singers of all ages and experience levels. Students enroll in two semesters of physiology/pedagogy, practicum (with evaluation from your cohort and a master teacher) and voice lessons. There is also the option to add other music courses, including musicianship training from HNU’s world-famous Kodály program, ensembles, history and literature classes. Coursework completed before the certificate is awarded can be applied to HNU’s Masters in Vocal Pedagogy degree.
The Vocal Pedagogy Certificate features:
- a holistic approach to pedagogy
- observation of master teachers
- guided teaching during two semesters of practicum
- private lessons
- opportunities for performance (including weekly studio classes, performance labs, noon concerts and student recitals, ensembles and opera workshops)
- MUSC 454 Vocal Pedagogy (3)
- MUSC 455 Advanced Vocal Pedagogy (3)
- MUSC 496 E, F Practicum (2,2)
- MUSC 416 Private Lessons (1,1)
The program is led by Eric Howe and Shauna Fallihee, nationally recognized voice teachers whose students perform in a variety of settings, from world-class opera stages to church and community choruses.
Over the years, Holy Names graduates have established an excellent reputation as well-known performers and teachers. With our low student to faculty ratio, students can frequently seek advice from faculty. Alumni return to play with faculty in recitals, teach in HNU’s Preparatory Music Department, and showcase their students in concerts and festivals.
View all job descriptions
* The positions listed here are ones identified by the University as positions for which a program completer would be educationally qualified. This list will be updated as necessary and appropriate.
Please click here to see employment disclosure and cost information for this program. Click here for general tuition and fees information.