Holy Names University
HNU Homepage

Academic Affairs Office

Vice President for Academic Affairs

Lizbeth Martin, Ph.D.

Lizbeth Martin, Ph.D.

Location: 8 Hester Administration Building
Phone: (510) 436-1040
Email: martin@hnu.edu

Assistant Vice President for Academic Affairs

Elaine Bauer, Ed.D.
Location: 3 Hester Administration Building
Phone: (510) 436-1207
Email: bauer@hnu.edu

Academic Affairs Administrative Assistant
Ivy Al-Faqih
Location: 7 Hester Administration Building
Phone: (510) 436-1040
Email: Al-Faqih@hnu.edu

The Vice President of Academic Affairs and Dean of Faculty is responsible for the academic quality of the University and leadership in establishing a strong academic and collegial community of faculty and students. To this end, the Vice President rigorously maintains the integrity, appropriateness and strength of the academic curriculum and the quality of classroom instruction and academic co-curricular activities. The Vice President hears appropriate informal and formal appeals by faculty and students and meets with faculty and students, singly and in groups, regarding matters of academic concern.

In the Office of Academic Affairs, the Associate Academic Dean is is responsible for:

Frequently Asked Questions

What is a Credit Hour?

A credit hour is an amount of work represented in intended learning outcomes and verified by evidence of student achievement that is an institutionally established equivalency that reasonably approximates not less than—

  1. One hour of classroom or direct faculty instruction and a minimum of two hours of out of class student work each week for approximately fifteen weeks for one semester, or the equivalent amount of work over a different amount of time; or
  2. At least an equivalent amount of work as required in paragraph (1) of this definition for other academic activities as established by the institution including laboratory work, internships, practica, studio work, and other academic work leading to the award of credit hours.

How do I get on the Dean’s list?

You qualify for the Dean’s List if your GPA is 3.5 or above, you have completed 12 semester units and you have no grades outstanding or below a C-.

How do I change my advisor or major?

A Change of Major/Advisor is available in the Student Resource Center. Notification will be sent via email system once the change has been made.

How do I design a Self-Designed Major?

Together with your advisor fill out the form available in the Student Resource Center, along with your rationale and submit them to the Associate Academic Dean. Self-designed majors should be proposed as soon as possible, no later than the second semester of the junior year.

How do I appeal to change a grade?

First, contact the instructor who has assigned the grade in question no later than the academic term following the term in which the problem arose. If the issue remains unresolved, you may initiate a formal appeal to the Chair of the Department or Division by writing a formal appeal. If the Chairperson denies the appeal, within 15 days you may submit a written appeal to the Vice President for Academic Affairs. The decision of the Vice President of Academic Affairs is final. Work submitted after the final exam period will not be accepted, unless an Incomplete Contract is in place.

What do I do if I have a disagreement with a professor?

It is recommended that you make an appointment to speak to your professor regarding the issue. If the student is unable to do this or the issue remains unresolved following this meeting, please contact the Chair of the Department or Division. If that meeting does not serve to resolve the issue, please make an appointment to see the Vice President for Academic Affairs.

How do I appeal a registration deadline?

A Registration Deadline form is available in the Student Resource Center. If the appeal is denied, you may submit your original appeal as well as a written rationale to the Vice President for Academic Affairs. There is no further university appeal.

▲ Top of Page ▲

Chief Officer:
William Hynes, Ph.D., President

Legal Status:
Private, Not-for-profit Institution

Institutional Sponsorship:

Institutional Type and Plan:
Liberal Arts

FTE Enrollment:
Undergraduate (617) Graduate (300)

Degree Levels:
B (4), M (5)

Current Status:

First Accredited:

Most Recent Commission Action:

Last Comprehensive Evaluation:

Next Comprehensive Evaluation: