You can learn more about our requirements for admission below.
Learn about our different undergraduate nursing programs »
Semester Undergraduate Nursing
HNU/Samuel Merritt University Generic Nursing Program
Our Undergraduate Nursing Program is a 2+2 partnership Program with Samuel Merritt University. This partnership is structured for students to complete two years of pre-requisite and general education coursework at Holy Names University and then transfer to Samuel Merritt University for the final two years of the program where they will complete the Nursing Requirements. Please be aware of the following:
- Students MUST complete two years of coursework at Holy Names University prior to transferring to Samuel Merritt University regardless of what coursework is transferred from previous institutions.
- Students with 30 or more transferable units completed are not eligible for admission to the program.
- Students who have previously completed a Bachelors Degree are not eligible for the program.
Learn more about the HNU/SMU Generic BSN Nursing program »
Learn more about university requirements for Transfer Student admission »
Degree Completion Nursing Programs
RN to BSN Program
Application Requirements: [ get details ]
Students with an Associate Degree in Nursing interested in the RN/BSN program may transfer up to 70 semester units of completed coursework, including 30 semester units of nursing, from a community college. These units should include academic credit for lower-division coursework in Anatomy/Physiology, Microbiology, Psychology, Sociology or Anthropology, and English 1A (Freshman composition). Students with a diploma from a hospital school of nursing may obtain 30 units of degree credit by successful completion of advanced placement tests for admission to upper-division nursing. A fee is charged for taking these tests.
All students in the RN/BSN program must have Professional Liability insurance ($1,000,000/ 3,000,000) when registered in a clinical practice course. The cost for this insurance will be collected by the University when the student enters the first clinical practice course.
- Written Personal Statement explaining who you are, what has influenced your career path so far, professional interests and where you plan to go from here (1 - 3 pages)
- One Letter of Recommendation from a past or current professor or professional supervisor. May obtain an Adult Academic Recommendation Form from your Enrollment Counselor or online
- Current Resume
- Official Transcripts of ALL college/university coursework completed previously (must be in sealed envelope from Registrar of college/university)
- International Students - Request two copies of Official Transcripts to be sent in a sealed envelope from each school you attended. One copy of each must be mailed to Holy Names University, Office of Admissions and the second copy of each must be mailed to World Education Services (WES). International Student Transcripts are evaluated by WES, a professional evaluation service. Visit WES to create an account and sign up for WES ICAP, Course by Course Evaluation for $195. After all required documents and payment have been submitted to WES, HNU will receive the completed evaluation in 7 days.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with a score of 550 (paper-based), 213 (computer based) or 79 (internet based) or higher if English is a second language
- A current California license as a Registered Nurse or an interim permit
- An Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN) or a diploma from a hospital school of nursing
Learn more about the RN to BSN program »
LVN to BSN Program
We are sorry to inform you that the LVN to BSN program has reached capacity and is no longer accepting applications. Please check out our RN to BSN program, our RN to MSN program, and our other degree completion programs for adults.
You can learn more about admission requirements for Degree Completion Programs here »
Graduate Degree Nursing Programs
Master's Degree Programs
Post-Master's Certificate Programs
▲ Top of Page ▲