Holy Names University (HNU) seeks a Senior Accountant. Nestled in the Oakland, CA hills, with a panoramic view of the San Francisco Bay, HNU is rooted in Catholic intellectual and spiritual traditions, empowering a diverse student body for leadership and service. Guided by the core values of the Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary, HNU is a progressive, inclusive, and rigorous academic community offering a liberal arts and professional education. We prepare students to think critically and imaginatively, to understand and employ the various modes of knowledge, to communicate clearly and persuasively, and to promote the common good. Visit our website: www.hnu.edu, to learn more about Holy Names University.
The Senior Accountant will perform the essential, day to day, accounting and cash management functions of the business office and perform various business office tasks as assigned by the controller.
Essential Functions of the position:
- Manage the daily operations of the Business Office including:
month and end-year close process
revenue and expenditure variance analysis
fixed asset activity & capital expenditure tracking
- Monitor and analyze accounting data.
- Establish and enforce proper accounting methods, policies and principles.
- Improve systems and procedures and initiate corrective actions
- Establish and maintain fiscal files and records to document transactions.
- Create and maintain accounting schedules for various prepaid assets and liability accounts.
- Manage University Credit Card Program and monthly general ledger posting of activity.
- Review and approve accounts payable check runs. Verify existence, validity and accuracy of documents supporting payments. Supervise annual 1099-MISC tax reporting. Submit annual state compliance reports (hazardous waste, environmental fees, Cal Grants.
- Record financial revenue transactions from contributions in the general ledger based on periodic reports from Advancement. Reconcile contributions revenue against deposits.
- Carry out monthly bank reconciliation for all bank accounts. Reconcile student online payments web portal (TMS-6).
- Supervise cash receipts function; maintain remote payments software in support of web-based payments to the university, for non-student cash receipts (VANCO).
- Back up for quarterly payroll tax filings and annual W-2 reporting. Share joint responsibility for submitting bank ACHs for net pay and payroll taxes. On an exception basis, review and approve payroll check runs.
- Serve as liaison to Fremont bank for day to day activity. Carry out routine ACH transfers and one-time wire transfers. Maintain the “safe list” for ACH transactions allowed in the positive pay function. Manage the campus ATM.
- Prepare ad hoc accounting reports as requested.
- Other projects & tasks as assigned by the controller.
Assist Controller with the following:
Annual financial audit. Prepare audit confirmations, schedules and updates to financial notes; prepare routine journal entries for accruals and deferrals as needed (i.e. faculty salaries, vacation balances, late invoices, prepaid invoices, term six tuition)
Financial Aid office support. Reconcile Perkins bank account, help to resolve complications arising from Perkins Loan consolidations.
Annual IPEDs Finance survey in the spring. Assist in preparing.
Payroll System Issues and Maintenance. Assist in resolving payroll issues requiring special handling. Assist in preparing annual mass updates to salaries, retirement deductions, and open enrollment deductions.
Business Office Procedures. Assist in developing and communicating Business Office procedures to campus.
Financial and Accounting Data. Assist in compiling and reporting data to VP for Finance & Administration and departments as needed.
1) High attention to detail and accuracy
2) Proven working experience as a full cycle Accountant
3) Advanced computer skills on MS Office, accounting software and databases
4) Ability to manipulate large amounts of data
5) Proven knowledge of bookkeeping and accounting principles, practices, standards, laws and regulations.
To apply, please send cover letter, resume and HNU staff application to email@example.com