Author Archives: Carolyn Boyd

Mid-century living room

Do you recognize this part of the Holy Names campus? The Mealey Living Room, now outfitted with a pool table and television, was originally furnished with mid-century tables, chairs, and lamps.

Posted in College of the Holy Names 1957-1970 | Tagged , | Leave a comment

Earlier modes of communication

Check out different forms of media and communication that were utilized before cell phones, iPads, and mp3 players:

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Alumna DJ Martin shares experiences

Sister Carol Sellman and Assistant Professor Anastasia Prentiss met with Dorothy Jean (DJ) Martin in June 2012 to discuss the alumna’s experiences after graduating from Holy Names College. Martin said that students were aware that World War II was coming during … Continue reading

Posted in Lake Merritt Campus 1868-1957 | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment

HNU students pose in bloomers

Posted in Lake Merritt Campus 1868-1957 | Tagged , | Leave a comment

Listen to audio on HNU’s history

Listen to the new audio on HNU’s historical blog. Remembering HNU: A Collection of Audio Recordings, is a new page on the blog that provides a glimpse into the history of the University. It currently features a recording of Sister … Continue reading

Posted in College of the Holy Names 1957-1970, Lake Merritt Campus 1868-1957 | Tagged , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Submit your photo ideas for HNU Today

This HNU scene, featuring students collecting funds for UNICEF from Sister M. Madeleine Rose Ashton in the early 1960s, was included in the latest issue of the HNU Today magazine. Do you have an idea for an HNU scene, whether … Continue reading

Posted in College of the Holy Names 1957-1970 | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

Singing of the alma mater at Founders’ Day

HNU music students sang the alma mater—Oh, Holy Names, All Hail!—at the 2014 celebration of Founders’ Day. The alma mater was written in 1942 by Sister Maria Dolores Mayerle.

Posted in Lake Merritt Campus 1868-1957, Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Enlisted service women at Holy Names during WWII

The College of Holy Names hosted service women in its dormitory at 2036 Webster Street during World War II. The dormitory was located in the gymnasium and accommodated 30 women. Upon opening to the service women, the dormitory was visited … Continue reading

Posted in Lake Merritt Campus 1868-1957, Uncategorized | Tagged , , , , | Leave a comment

Campus celebrates Founders’ Day

The HNU campus recently celebrated the anniversary of the arrival of the Sisters of Holy Names of Jesus and Mary in Oakland 146 years ago.

Posted in Campus Construction 1955-1958, College of the Holy Names 1957-1970, Holy Names College 1971-1990, Lake Merritt Campus 1868-1957 | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Holy Names’ Sisters describe experiences after Vatican II

To celebrate National Catholic Sisters Week, Holy Names’ Sisters presented an excerpt of the film Band of Sisters, which chronicles the lives of Catholic nuns after the Second Vatican Council (Vatican II). At each of the three film presentations that … Continue reading

Posted in College of the Holy Names 1957-1970, Uncategorized | Tagged , , | Leave a comment