Category Archives: Lake Merritt Campus 1868-1957

Alumna DJ Martin shares experiences

Sister Carol Sellman and Assistant Professor Anastasia Prentiss met with Dorothy Jean (DJ) Martin in June 2012 to discuss the alumna’s experiences after graduating from Holy Names College. Martin said that students were aware that World War II was coming during … Continue reading

Posted in Lake Merritt Campus 1868-1957 | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment

HNU students pose in bloomers

Posted in Lake Merritt Campus 1868-1957 | Tagged , | Leave a comment

Listen to audio on HNU’s history

Listen to the new audio on HNU’s historical blog. Remembering HNU: A Collection of Audio Recordings, is a new page on the blog that provides a glimpse into the history of the University. It currently features a recording of Sister … Continue reading

Posted in College of the Holy Names 1957-1970, Lake Merritt Campus 1868-1957 | Tagged , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Singing of the alma mater at Founders’ Day

HNU music students sang the alma mater—Oh, Holy Names, All Hail!—at the 2014 celebration of Founders’ Day. The alma mater was written in 1942 by Sister Maria Dolores Mayerle.

Posted in Lake Merritt Campus 1868-1957, Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Enlisted service women at Holy Names during WWII

The College of Holy Names hosted service women in its dormitory at 2036 Webster Street during World War II. The dormitory was located in the gymnasium and accommodated 30 women. Upon opening to the service women, the dormitory was visited … Continue reading

Posted in Lake Merritt Campus 1868-1957, Uncategorized | Tagged , , , , | Leave a comment

Campus celebrates Founders’ Day

The HNU campus recently celebrated the anniversary of the arrival of the Sisters of Holy Names of Jesus and Mary in Oakland 146 years ago.

Posted in Campus Construction 1955-1958, College of the Holy Names 1957-1970, Holy Names College 1971-1990, Lake Merritt Campus 1868-1957 | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

HNU historical mural in Hester Building

Check out the historical mural in the Michael and Maureen Hester Administration Building that documents HNU’s story—from the arrival of the first Sisters to the establishment of the college and its relocation to the Oakland Hills.    

Posted in Campus Construction 1955-1958, College of the Holy Names 1957-1970, Holy Names College 1971-1990, Lake Merritt Campus 1868-1957 | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Sister Barbara Williams: Life as a teacher and a Sister in the SNJM community

The text below is an excerpt of an interview with Sister Barbara Williams conducted on September 28, 2012, by Assistant Professor Anastasia Prentiss and Sister Carol Sellman. Minor edits have been made for clarity. Tell us why you decided to … Continue reading

Posted in College of the Holy Names 1957-1970, Holy Names College 1971-1990, Lake Merritt Campus 1868-1957 | Tagged , , , , | Leave a comment

College of the Holy Names Physics Lab

Posted in Lake Merritt Campus 1868-1957 | Tagged , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Color photo of College of the Holy Names at Lake Merritt

Posted in Lake Merritt Campus 1868-1957 | Tagged , , , , , , , | Leave a comment