Holy Names University: A Timeline

Convent of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart, Lake Merritt, Oakland,1884
1868
Foundation of Convent of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart at Lake Merritt Campus, Oakland, California

1880
Empowered by the State of California to grant higher degrees

1908
Name of the institution changes to Convent and College of the Holy Names

College of the Holy Names Physics Lab
1916
Secular students admitted to college-level classes for the first time, and the Alumnae Office opens with its new constitution decreeing that the annual meeting should coincide with Founders’ Day (May 10)

1917
Holy Names Junior College formally inaugurated

1925
The senior college opens

College of the Holy Names graduate line
1929
First baccalaureate degrees awarded

1930
The first College of the Holy Names’ teacher candidates were credentialed by the State of California

1949
College of the Holy Names becomes one of the charter members of the the Western Association of Schools and Colleges

1955
The co-educational graduate division formally established

New College of the Holy Names Campus Photo 2
1957
The entire college moves from Lake Merritt to the new campus on Mountain Boulevard

Raskob House
1960
Raskob Learning Institute opens

1969
The Kodály music education program opens

Holy Names College students
1971
The College name changes to Holy Names College and becomes totally co-educational

1977
An interdisciplinary, team-taught program in Humanistic Studies becomes the cornerstone of the undergraduate curriculum

1981
The Weekend College (WECO) opens, offering working adults classes on Friday nights and Saturdays – the first such program west of the Rockies for working adults

1987
The writing across the cirriculum program is adopted to ensure that development in writing is a component of all undergraduate programs

Valley Center for the Performing Arts (VCPA), Holy Names University 2004
1994
The Valley Center for the Performing Arts opens, providing the campus and community with a state-of-the-art facility

The College joins the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA)

1996
The Sophia Center graduate program in Culture and Creation Spirituality begins

1997
The Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) program begins offering classes

Chapel from St Francis courtyard
2004
The name of the institution is changed to Holy Names University

2007
HNU celebrates its 50th anniversary in the Oakland Hills

Convocation in front of Cushing Library on Corrigan Courtyard 2010
2008
HNU celebrates its 140th anniversary in Oakland

2012
HNU’s application to the National Collegiate Athletic Association, Division II is accepted