Science class

College of the Holy Names students in class

Posted in College of the Holy Names 1957-1970 | Tagged , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

College of the Holy Names circa 1890 and 1955

A big thanks to Lincoln Cushing, Digital Archivist – Communications Consultant, of Kaiser Permanente Heritage Resources, who sent us a couple really terrific photos originally from the Oakland Tribune. Enjoy!

College of the Holy Names graduates, 1890.
The Holy Names College graduates, 1890.

College of the Holy Names on Lake Merritt, 1955.
Holy Names College on original site, currently Kaiser Building and The Ordway. Circa 1955.

Posted in College of the Holy Names 1957-1970 | Tagged , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

College of the Holy Names Nuns on Lake Merritt

Posted in Lake Merritt Campus 1868-1957 | Tagged , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Raskob Learning Institute and Day School

Raskob Learning Institute and Day School

Posted in Holy Names College 1971-1990 | Tagged , , , , , , | Leave a comment

New Beginnings: Campus Construction

College of the Holy Names New Campus Construction

The 60-acre property nestled in the Oakland hills was purchased by the Sisters with the money earned by the sale of the Lake Merritt campus to Henry Kaiser. The mid-century modern campus buildings, designed by Bay Area architect Milton T. Pflueger, were constructed from 1955-1958, and dedicated in 1957.

Here is a terrific series of both black and white and color photos of the campus under construction.

College of the Holy Names New Campus Construction

College of the Holy Names Chapel under construction, July 1957

College of the Holy Names chapel under construction, July 1957

College of the Holy Names chapel under construction, July 1957

College of the Holy Names Library and Brennan Hall under construction, July 1957

College of the Holy Names, July 1957

Here are Sister Rita and Sister Emily, framing the bell tower, stand on the hill looking over campus and the Bay Area beyond with the fog rolling in.

Posted in Campus Construction 1955-1958 | Tagged , , , , , , , , | 2 Comments

Unicef — Off to help the world’s children

College of the Holy Names Unicef collection.

Posted in College of the Holy Names 1957-1970 | Tagged , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Out With the Old, In With the New

Alumni and Sisters present a plaque to Mr. Henry Kaiser, 1957

In 1957 the entire college moved from Lake Merritt to the new campus on Mountain Boulevard. The old property was sold to Henry Kaiser, its buildings demolished to make way for the Kaiser Building. Above, some alumni and SNJM Sisters present a commemorative plaque proclaiming the Kaiser Building as the “Former Site of the College of the Holy Names, 1868-1957” to A. B. Ordway, Kaiser’s right hand man, and the namesake of the building. You can still see the plaque in the building today.

Sisters in front of the moving van, ready to relocate the College from Lake Merritt to the new campus

Demolition of the College of the Holy Names campus to make way for the Kaiser building, 1957

College of the Holy Names Grounds Blessing

Above, the Blessing of the Grounds for the future College of the Holy Names site in the Oakland hills.

Next week, we’ll post a terrific series of photos of the new campus under construction. Happy New Year to the entire Holy Names University community, as well as to all our Oakland neighbors!

Update: February 13: This post has been edited to reflect a correction noted by Lincoln Cushing, Digital Archivist – Communications Consultant, Kaiser Permanente Heritage Resources. Thank you Mr. Cushing!

I believe the gentleman offering the plaque is A.B. Ordway, Henry J. Kaiser’s right hand man and the namesake of our building (opened 1971, next to the Kaiser Building).

Posted in Campus Construction 1955-1958, Lake Merritt Campus 1868-1957 | Tagged , , , , , , , | 1 Comment

College of the Holy Names musical group

College of the Holy Names music group

College of the Holy Names music group pose in festive formal gowns, with trumpet and violin.

Posted in Lake Merritt Campus 1868-1957 | Tagged , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Merry Christmas from Holy Names University

Students planting a tree

College of the Holy Names students and a Sister look on as a priest blesses a tree they are planting (we think! — let us know if you know more about this photo in the comments).

Posted in Lake Merritt Campus 1868-1957 | Tagged , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Holy Names College coeds

Holy Names College students

In 1971, the College name changed to Holy Names College and became totally co-educational.

Posted in Holy Names College 1971-1990 | Tagged , , , , , | Leave a comment