Tag Archives: 1890s

Campus celebrates Founders’ Day

The HNU campus recently celebrated the anniversary of the arrival of the Sisters of Holy Names of Jesus and Mary in Oakland 146 years ago.

Posted in Campus Construction 1955-1958, College of the Holy Names 1957-1970, Holy Names College 1971-1990, Lake Merritt Campus 1868-1957 | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

HNU historical mural in Hester Building

Check out the historical mural in the Michael and Maureen Hester Administration Building that documents HNU’s story—from the arrival of the first Sisters to the establishment of the college and its relocation to the Oakland Hills.    

Posted in Campus Construction 1955-1958, College of the Holy Names 1957-1970, Holy Names College 1971-1990, Lake Merritt Campus 1868-1957 | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

College of the Holy Names circa 1890 and 1955

A big thanks to Lincoln Cushing, Digital Archivist – Communications Consultant, of Kaiser Permanente Heritage Resources, who sent us a couple really terrific photos originally from the Oakland Tribune. Enjoy! The Holy Names College graduates, 1890. Holy Names College on … Continue reading

Posted in College of the Holy Names 1957-1970 | Tagged , , , , , , , | Leave a comment