Tag Archives: California

College of the Holy Names post, Lake Merritt

Posted in Lake Merritt Campus 1868-1957 | Tagged , , , , , | Leave a comment

In honor of Presidents’ Day

Next time you visit Cushing Library on the Holy Names campus, look for the display case in tribute to HNU alumna Margaret Mealey, Class of 1933. Above, she is pictured (in the white hat) with President John F. Kennedy at … Continue reading

Posted in College of the Holy Names 1957-1970 | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Science class

Posted in College of the Holy Names 1957-1970 | Tagged , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

College of the Holy Names circa 1890 and 1955

A big thanks to Lincoln Cushing, Digital Archivist – Communications Consultant, of Kaiser Permanente Heritage Resources, who sent us a couple really terrific photos originally from the Oakland Tribune. Enjoy! The Holy Names College graduates, 1890. Holy Names College on … Continue reading

Posted in College of the Holy Names 1957-1970 | Tagged , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

College of the Holy Names Nuns on Lake Merritt

College of the Holy Names Nuns on Lake Merritt, a photo by Holy Names University on Flickr.

Posted in Lake Merritt Campus 1868-1957 | Tagged , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Raskob Learning Institute and Day School

Posted in Holy Names College 1971-1990 | Tagged , , , , , , | Leave a comment

New Beginnings: Campus Construction

The 60-acre property nestled in the Oakland hills was purchased by the Sisters with the money earned by the sale of the Lake Merritt campus to Henry Kaiser. The mid-century modern campus buildings, designed by Bay Area architect Milton T. … Continue reading

Posted in Campus Construction 1955-1958 | Tagged , , , , , , , , | 2 Comments

Unicef — Off to help the world’s children

College of the Holy Names Unicef collection, a photo by Holy Names University on Flickr. College of the Holy Names Unicef collection.

Posted in College of the Holy Names 1957-1970 | Tagged , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Out With the Old, In With the New

In 1957 the entire college moved from Lake Merritt to the new campus on Mountain Boulevard. The old property was sold to Henry Kaiser, its buildings demolished to make way for the Kaiser Building. Above, some alumni and SNJM Sisters … Continue reading

Posted in Campus Construction 1955-1958, Lake Merritt Campus 1868-1957 | Tagged , , , , , , , | 1 Comment

College of the Holy Names musical group

College of the Holy Names music group pose in festive formal gowns, with trumpet and violin.

Posted in Lake Merritt Campus 1868-1957 | Tagged , , , , , , , | Leave a comment