The HNU campus recently celebrated the anniversary of the arrival of the Sisters of Holy Names of Jesus and Mary in Oakland 146 years ago.
Posted in Campus Construction 1955-1958, College of the Holy Names 1957-1970, Holy Names College 1971-1990, Lake Merritt Campus 1868-1957
Tagged 1890s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, California, campus, convent, history, Lake Merritt, Oakland, SNJM, students
The Convent of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart was built at 2036 Webster Street, where the Kaiser Building is currently located, in 1868. This lithographic reproduction of a marvelous etching by M. J. Phelan, an artist born in Ireland … Continue reading