Tag Archives: Lake Merritt

Alumna DJ Martin shares experiences

Sister Carol Sellman and Assistant Professor Anastasia Prentiss met with Dorothy Jean (DJ) Martin in June 2012 to discuss the alumna’s experiences after graduating from Holy Names College. Martin said that students were aware that World War II was coming during … Continue reading

Posted in Lake Merritt Campus 1868-1957 | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment

HNU students pose in bloomers

Posted in Lake Merritt Campus 1868-1957 | Tagged , | Leave a comment

Listen to audio on HNU’s history

Listen to the new audio on HNU’s historical blog. Remembering HNU: A Collection of Audio Recordings, is a new page on the blog that provides a glimpse into the history of the University. It currently features a recording of Sister … Continue reading

Posted in College of the Holy Names 1957-1970, Lake Merritt Campus 1868-1957 | Tagged , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Campus celebrates Founders’ Day

The HNU campus recently celebrated the anniversary of the arrival of the Sisters of Holy Names of Jesus and Mary in Oakland 146 years ago.

Posted in Campus Construction 1955-1958, College of the Holy Names 1957-1970, Holy Names College 1971-1990, Lake Merritt Campus 1868-1957 | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

HNU historical mural in Hester Building

Check out the historical mural in the Michael and Maureen Hester Administration Building that documents HNU’s story—from the arrival of the first Sisters to the establishment of the college and its relocation to the Oakland Hills.    

Posted in Campus Construction 1955-1958, College of the Holy Names 1957-1970, Holy Names College 1971-1990, Lake Merritt Campus 1868-1957 | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

College of the Holy Names Physics Lab

Posted in Lake Merritt Campus 1868-1957 | Tagged , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Color photo of College of the Holy Names at Lake Merritt

Posted in Lake Merritt Campus 1868-1957 | Tagged , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

College of the Holy Names post, Lake Merritt

Posted in Lake Merritt Campus 1868-1957 | Tagged , , , , , | Leave a comment

College of the Holy Names Nuns on Lake Merritt

College of the Holy Names Nuns on Lake Merritt, a photo by Holy Names University on Flickr.

Posted in Lake Merritt Campus 1868-1957 | Tagged , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Out With the Old, In With the New

In 1957 the entire college moved from Lake Merritt to the new campus on Mountain Boulevard. The old property was sold to Henry Kaiser, its buildings demolished to make way for the Kaiser Building. Above, some alumni and SNJM Sisters … Continue reading

Posted in Campus Construction 1955-1958, Lake Merritt Campus 1868-1957 | Tagged , , , , , , , | 1 Comment