Tag Archives: Lake Merritt

College of the Holy Names musical group

College of the Holy Names music group pose in festive formal gowns, with trumpet and violin.

Posted in Lake Merritt Campus 1868-1957 | Tagged , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Merry Christmas from Holy Names University

College of the Holy Names students and a Sister look on as a priest blesses a tree they are planting (we think! — let us know if you know more about this photo in the comments).

Posted in Lake Merritt Campus 1868-1957 | Tagged , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Commencement

College of the Holy Names graduates pose on stairs of the school at the Lake Merritt campus.

Posted in Lake Merritt Campus 1868-1957 | Tagged , , , , , | Leave a comment

2036 Webster Street, Oakland

The Convent of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart was built at 2036 Webster Street, where the Kaiser Building is currently located, in 1868. This lithographic reproduction of a marvelous etching by M. J. Phelan, an artist born in Ireland … Continue reading

Posted in Lake Merritt Campus 1868-1957 | Tagged , , , , , | Leave a comment

It all began right here in Oakland on the shores of Lake Merritt

Convent of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart 1873, a photo by Holy Names University on Flickr. Holy Names University’s story begins in 1868 when six Sisters of the Holy Names arrived in California from Montreal, Canada. The teaching order, … Continue reading

Posted in Lake Merritt Campus 1868-1957 | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment