Opera Preview at Holy Names: Puccini's Madame Butterfly
Join us at Holy Names University in the beautiful Oakland Hills for a preview of the San Francisco Opera’s summer production of Madame Butterfly – “Puccini’s heartbreaking tale of innocence, betrayal, and sacrifice.”
Special guests from the SF Opera and the San Francisco Conservatory of Music will perform and comment on musical excerpts from Butterfly. Also, an accomplished scholar will enlighten us about the historical context and dramatic twists-and-turns in the making of this great classic.
The 75-minute lecture & music program will be followed by a reception at which you can meet our performers and speakers. Don’t miss out on this wonderful opportunity!
* A. J. Glueckert (tenor), Adler Fellow, San Francisco Opera
* Crystal Kim (soprano), San Francisco Conservatory of Music
* Curt Pajer (piano), Opera Program Music Director, SF Conservatory of Music
* Patrick Lloyd Hatcher, Ph.D., Distinguished Senior Fellow, Japan Policy Research Institute; emeritus professor, UC Berkeley
* 6:00-7:15 PM Lecture, musical performances, and Q&A
* 7:15-8:00 PM Reception
Presented by the Japan Policy Research Institute (JPRI) and Asia Pacific Peace Studies Institute (APPSI) at Holy Names University, in partnership with the SF Opera and San Francisco Conservatory of Music.
This event marks the start of the new APPSI “Continuing Education” Initiative, which extends public programs into the summer semester and enthusiastically welcomes HNU alumnae/i as well as other residents of the Oakland Bay Area.
Monday, June 2, 2014
Thank you for your interest in this event. Provide your email address below, and you will receive reminder emails one week and two days before the event.