Holy Names University
HNU Homepage
Student Life
Holy Names University of Facebook
res-life-banner-2 res-life-banner-4 res-life-banner-1 res-life-banner-3 res-life-banner-5

Student Conduct

The Student Code of Conduct

Every student member of the Holy Names University community has access to the Student Handbook. The student handbook specifically outlines what the Student Code of Conduct means to the Holy Names University community, serving as a guideline for students to follow the University’s standards of behavior. When a student violates the Student Code of Conduct, the student is documented by a university official and will potentially go through a student conduct hearing.

The Director of Residence Life and the Assistant Director of Residence Life oversee all matters of student conduct. When an Incident Report (IR) is submitted, the form is then processed by the Director or Assistant Director. The Director or Assistant Director then decides whether or not a conduct hearing is necessary. If a hearing is necessary, the student(s) involved receive a letter informing him/her of the date and time of the hearing. Students are given a minimum of 72 business hours’ notice from the time the letter is sent to the time of the hearing. After the hearing, the student(s) will be notified within 72 business hours of the outcome of the case. If the student(s) must fulfill a sanction, this information will be detailed in the letter.

Conduct FAQ

If an incident report is submitted, am I going to get in trouble?

Incident Reports (IRs) are submitted regarding a variety of occurrences that take place on campus and not all are conduct related. If an IR is submitted that includes your name and a potential conduct violation, then you will be scheduled for a conduct hearing. Being called to a conduct hearing does not automatically mean you are in violation of a conduct code. The conduct hearing is used to determine the responsibility of each person involved.

What if I was not drinking alcohol and I was documented?

When an incident is documented, all individuals present AND the hosts of present guests are documented. All documented students are called into a hearing in order to gather information about what happened and to gain each student’s perspective. Once the hearing has taken place, it is determined whether or not each person was in violation of any codes of conduct. The decision is based on whether it is more likely than not that the alleged activity took place.

If my roommate was documented, will I be documented as well?

This depends on each situation. If your roommate is documented in your room for an isolated incident (such as a party) and you are not present – you will not be documented. However, if your room or roommate is documented for an on-going violation (such as candle in the room or drugs in the room) – will be documented. In a situation such as this, you may not be documented if your roommate takes full responsibility for the violation(s).

Will my parents/guardians be notified if I am documented?

Typically we do not notify parents of incidents that are documented; however, Residence Life reserves the right to speak with families if necessary. If a student is under 18 years of age, their parents/guardians will be notified due to the fact that the student is a minor.

I’m an athlete. Will my coach be notified if I am documented?

In most cases, coaches will not be notified. However, university judicial officers may involve other university constituents as necessary.

Can I be documented multiple times in the same night?

Yes. You will be documented for as many incidents in which you are involved.

What is the most I could do before being banned or removed from the residence halls?

Residence Life will remove or ban students from the residence halls when they have severely disrupted the community and/or have seriously violated a code of conduct. These decisions are made on a case-by-case basis.

Can non-resident students be documented/go through the Residence Life conduct system?

Yes. Any HNU student can go through the conduct process and any non-students can, in fact, be banned from the residence halls and/or campus.

Who can initially report and respond to violations?

Any member of the HNU community can report a violation by speaking with a Residence Life staff member. They will help students complete an IR. This is then responded to by the Director or Assistant Director of Residence Life. Most frequently however, it is RAs, Security officers, and Residence Life professional staff members submit IRs.

If I am 21 and in violation of noise (or any another violation) and alcohol is present, does this mean that the alcohol I possess will be poured out?

If you are being documented for any reason and there is alcohol present, it will be poured out. One goal of documenting a situation is to stop the behavior that is causing a disturbance to the community and/or is a risk to the students involved. Alcohol is poured out in these situations because we want to ensure that another incident does not immediately occur.

If I am 21 years of age and my roommate is under 21, can I have and/or consume alcohol in my room?

Yes. You are allowed to have and consume alcohol in your room. Your underage roommate can also be present. HOWEVER, the moment another underage person comes into the room – you are violating Holy Names University’s alcohol policy. If a Residence Life staff member comes to the door and deems it necessary to ask the residents in the room to open refrigerators, cabinets, etc. - the residents and other present individuals could be documented if alcohol is present. The initial violation may have been for noise, or any other issue, but it is an additional potential violation if there are underage students in the room that do not LIVE in that room.

Will I get documented for being loud if it is not quiet hours?

It is possible to be documented for being too loud at any time of day. Courtesy hours are always in effect. This means that all members of the community should respect one another regarding noise levels. Staff members may give a warning before documentation occurs; however, depending on past encounters, extreme noise levels, and other circumstances, documentation may occur at any time a staff member deems necessary.

Can I be documented if I am not in a room?

You can be documented by a Residence Life staff member in any part of the residence halls and you can be documented by Campus Safety anywhere on campus. If a Residence Life staff member enters your room when you are not present, you may be documented if anything in the room violates any of the conduct codes found in the Student Handbook. Additionally, if you have a guest in the residence halls and he/she is involved in a documented incident, you will also be documented, regardless of whether or not you are present at the incident. Being separated from your guest is a violation of the guest policy and you are responsible for your guest‘s behavior at all times they are in the residence halls.

What happens if I cannot attend my Alcohol and other Drug (AoD) workshop?

Our goal is for you to learn the information that is presented during the workshop. The workshops and the instructor are scheduled at the beginning of the semester and cannot be altered. With this in mind, please note the policy below: Your assigned AoD Workshop date cannot be changed prior to your sanctioned workshop date. Once you have missed that date, you are documented for failure to comply and will receive a conduct hearing notice as a result of your missing your assigned class. A hold may also be placed on your student account until you attend the next available workshop.

Can RAs who are not on duty document a situation?

Yes. All RAs are responsible for confronting any possible instances of conduct code violations whether or not they are on duty. The purpose of confronting and documenting a situation is to end the behavior, regardless of the RA who addresses the situation.

If my RA has already warned me, can the RAs on duty document me for a violation?


Can RAs other than the ones who live on my floor, document me?

Yes. RAs are expected to document situations that arise within the residence halls no matter where they live, where they are, or where you are.

Is there a list of the housing policies and procedures that I am able to view?

Yes. You can view all of the housing policies here.